Ceramic Cows of Pompilio Orellana from Chordeleg and their Story
This collection of ceramic cows was produced between 1950 and 1970 by Pompilio Orellana, an artisan and a farmer from Chordeleg, Ecuador. At the request of the local inhabitants, Orellana portrayed the cows individually, in pairs or with their young. Once finished, the inhabitants would place the pieces in a sanctuary to protect their cows from rustlers and to ensure their good health. After Orellana’s death, this tradition disappeared and only a few pieces have survived.
The sculptures by Pompilio Orellana belong to the collection of the Archaeological Museum Lopez-Abad, Gualaceo, Ecuador.